Wednesday 18 May 2011

Book Review - Buddha at Bedtimme

Buddha at Bedtime: Tales of Love and Wisdom for You to Read with Your Child to Enchant, Enlighten and InspireBuddha at Bedtime: Tales of Love and Wisdom for You to Read with Your Child to Enchant, Enlighten and Inspire by Dharmachari Nagaraja

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I cannot begin to describe how much I love this book! I bought it to help my two homeschooled boys (aged 11 and 6) to learn about Buddhism, but hadn't anticipated that they would ask nearly every evening if we can do "buddha" tonight please mum? There is a nice section on relaxation for kids, as well as three different guided meditations, and an explanation of Buddhism and its relevance today. Then there are the stories, which are based on the traditional Jataka tales, and are beautifully told - the language itself is meditative, and the illustrations are gorgeous. You certainly do not have to be a Buddhist to appreciate these stories.



The only (minor) criticism I have is that the illustration of "Buddha" throughout is not Buddha, but Ho-Tei. Maybe they will sort that out for the next edition :-)



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Our library system doesn't have it, but I've just suggested they bring it in--- I hope they say yes! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete